Anonymized using a proxy vpn


This blog let's look at an expansion of the concepts associated with staying anonymous on the internet.

So let's look at how we can stay invisible from your ISP providers snooping. This can be done using a proxy vpn. There are quite a few providers in this market, a pretty complete list can be explored on http://vpnreviewz.com/.


How it works
 I found this simple graphical explanation on www.hidemyass.com site showing how it works.




How to choose your vpn proxy

  1. Make sure the price is right. Odds that you will find a service but throughput tends to be less than ideal. In my opinion paying a small fee for the service is a sound decision, and you get performance.
  2. Does the provider have gateways in the countries or locals that you care about. For instance I'm particularly interested in streaming from the UK. Turns out due to complex legal reasons streaming video is blocked.
  3. Latency can be a big issue. Since proxy services will slow throughput as all your traffic will funnel through them. You need to find a provider that addresses your speed needs. Since I am looking to stream video, speed was an issue when I selected my provider. As I mentioned free services will probably not be very high speed.
  4. Agent, vs agentless. Check to see if the provider can provide you both methods to connect. Since I like using PPTP to mask my device at the OS's network stack, it was important to me to find a solution that allowed for native PPTP capabilities. This reduces the reliance on client software.


How I configured my instance of my VPN

First off I'm using windows 8. The instruction I'm providing are the fast and simple way to get up and running using my proxy solution.


In windows for instance you would;

  1. In network and Internet, under Network and Sharing Center
  2. Set up a new connection or network
  3. Connect to a workplace - This allows to configure a VPN connection
  4. Select a new connection using my internet connection (VPN)
  5. At this point you will need to have found your providers IP address you plan to use.
  6. Provide your PPTP connection a destination name,  you will need name for my script in the next section.


For simplicity I created a quick script that keeps my connection up at all times. Here’s the batch file that will start my proxy, as well as check to make sure my connection is up and running.


VPN.BAT

:recheck
timeout 10
rasdial "NAME OF VPN" USERNAME  PASSWORD
goto :recheck





That's it, quick and simple anonymizing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Protecting sensitive data

Secure workstation - Root of trust to manage the cloud

Why is privileged access important?